Try 1 month for 99¢
Trump says planning underway for July 4 parade or gathering

President Donald Trump speaks during a cabinet meeting at the White House, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/ Evan Vucci)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is planning a new parade, possibly to replace a military procession he ordered up for Washington that was scuttled due to cost.

Speaking at a Cabinet meeting, Trump says he's thinking about holding the event around July 4. He's calling it a "Salute to America" parade, but says it would be more of a gathering. The Lincoln Memorial is one site under consideration, and Trump says he'd like the event to become a tradition.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

The bonus? Free fireworks. Trump noted that fireworks already light up the National Mall on July 4. He's put acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt in charge of planning.

A military parade Trump wanted on Veterans Day last year was canceled after senior administration officials saw the estimated $92 million price tag.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments