A member of the Northern Arizona University police department talks on the phone early Friday morning after a shooting outside Mountain View Hall. One is dead and three are wounded.

An NAU student is facing a charge of first-degree murder after an early-morning shooting on the campus of Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has left one student dead and three others wounded.

Campus officials say the suspected shooter, also a student, is freshman Steven Jones, 18. He is also facing three counts of aggravated assault and is being held on $2 million bond.

The student killed was identified as Colin Brough.

The victims who were taken to Flagstaff Medical Center have been identified as Nicholas Prato, Kyle Zientek and Nicholas Piring. Their conditions were not available late Friday.

NAU Police Chief Gregory T. Fowler said Jones was not a resident of Mountain View Hall, where the shooting in the parking lot took place after a confrontation between two groups of students.

Several frantic people called 911 to report the shooting, some looking down onto a parking lot from their dorm windows and seeing people with gunshot wounds.

"I first thought it was a joke but people started screaming," said one man, breathing heavily on the phone.

Dispatchers instructed some callers to stay inside, lock their doors and turn off the lights while advising help was on the way.

NAU police are reassuring the public that this is not like the mass shooting that happened at Umpqua Community College.

"This is very different than the Oregon situation. It appears this was not a targeting of campus," said NAU police officer Christopher Anderson.

NAU police say they were notified at 1:20 a.m. of shots fired on north campus. Police were dispatched, the suspect was detained and the situation was secured at 1:22 a.m. Emergency services were on the scene by 1:33 a.m. to assist the victims.

An error during the deployment of the NAU Alert system resulted in limited distribution of the initial alerts, which were sent as a precautionary measure to notify campus of the situation. A final all clear message was sent to the entire campus at 2:52 a.m.

According to reports from the scene, the shooting followed a party across the street from the dorm.

"We had just left a party and were standing in the street getting ready to walk home when a guy walked up with a pistol and just started shooting," said an eyewitness, who asked that his name not be used.

"I heard five or six shots and then my friends just tackled him. They got him really quick. We were leaving and it all happened on the sidewalk across from Mountain View."

The shooter was tackled to the ground.

"He didn't get a chance to hurt himself. I saw him in handcuffs when the cops came."

Student Maria Gonzalez told The Associated Press that she at first suspected firecrackers.

"I was studying for an exam so I looked out the window and see two people running, and that's when I realized they weren't fireworks they were actually gunshots," she said.

President Rita Cheng expressed shock and sadness at the incident.

"This is not going to be a normal day at NAU," Cheng said at an early morning press conference. "Our hearts are heavy."

Classes were not canceled Friday, although support counseling was available in the ballroom of the 1899 Restaurant on North Campus. Counseling services also will be available today. Those with questions and concerns can call a hotline set up by the university: (928) 523-0007.

Mountain View Hall is home to many campus fraternities and sororities. The national organization of the Sigma Chi fraternity said Steven Jones was immediately removed from the organization's pledge program after his arrest, said Michael J. Church, the executive director of Sigma Chi.

The organization also suspended operations of the NAU Sigma Chi chapter following the shooting, Church said in a press release.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments