A celebration of World Migratory Bird will be held at Kachina Wetlands Bird Sanctuary on Saturday, May 19, from 8 a.m.-2 p.m., with a variety of activities for birders of all skill levels and people of all ages. Participants will enjoy the camaraderie of other birders while learning why Kachina Wetlands is such a special place. The event is sponsored by Northern Arizona Audubon Society, Jay’s Bird Barn, and the Environmental Education Program of Rocky Mountain Research Station.
All activities are free and no advance registration is required. Activities include:
- Two public bird walks, one at 8:30 a.m. and another at 10 a.m.
- A spotting scope set up all day so that if you can’t make a bird walk, you can still see get terrific views of birds.
- A live hawk demonstration by the International Raptor and Falconry Center.
- A “Big Sit,” where all species viewed all day from a single location are recorded.
- Information tables that focus on birds and bird migration.
- Migratory bird activities for children.
Kachina Wetlands is located 6 miles south of Flagstaff. Take the Kachina Village exit off of I-17, go right onto Tovar Trail, and follow it to the end. For those using cell phones, the address to enter is 2375 Utility Road.
Fitness fundraiser set for Saturday
Flagstaff's Jeff Morton was teaching a cycle class when he suffered a devastating stroke at the end of 2017. The 41-year-old is married and has a 7-year-old daughter. The family's medical bills are astronomical; to help raise money, Summit Fitness is hosting a day of fundraising fitness classes Saturday. Summit Fitness is located at 1301 W. University Ave.
The classes are open to the general public. There is no charge, but Summit is requesting cash and check donations be given directly to the Morton family (see the "Help Jeff & Emily Morton" GoFundMe page for more information) to help cover the staggering medical bills. There will also be a raffle.
Here is the class lineup:
- 8:15-9 a.m. – Cycle with Elizabeth Vogler
- 9-10 a.m. – Zumba! With Suzie Mendez and Karen Knappenberger
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. – Yin Yoga with Jan Rominger
- 10 a.m.-noon – Marty’s Boot Camp with Marty Heilman
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Trauma Sensitive Yoga with Jan Rominger
- Noon-1 p.m. – Cycle with Cassie Luke
- 1-2 p.m. – Mindfulness Meditation with Jen Puzey
- 1-2 p.m. – Barre Core Sculpt with Jan Rominger
For more information, call 774-3476.