Cornucopia file

A child picks a pumpkin at the 2014 Cornucopia Festival. The family-friendly festival returns this Saturday at the Thorpe Park. Photo courtesy of Matt Ziegler.

The third annual Cornucopia Fall Festival will have at least one new addition this year: the chance to hug a hero.

The festival’s Hug a Hero booth will provide an opportunity to get to know local public safety professionals from the NAU Police Department, Flagstaff Police Department, Department of Public Safety, Coconino County Sheriff's office and Flagstaff Fire Department.

The festival takes place at Thorpe Park on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Other featured activities include Pink Elephants Children's Ride & Fun House, a hay maze, a pumpkin patch, a pie eating contest, horse wagon hayrides, a petting zoo and circus performers.

Admission is $5, with proceeds going to the Flagstaff Family Food Center, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Grand Canyon Youth. More information and a schedule of events is available at www.flagcorn.com.

Program to discuss border economics

Registration is open for a community program about economic opportunities and the Arizona-Mexico border on September 29. Sponsored by Arizona Town Hall, the program asks how can our border with Mexico create more economic opportunities for Arizona?

The program will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. in Northern Arizona University’s 1899 Ballroom located at 307 W. DuPont Avenue.

Program presenters include NAU President Dr. Rita Cheng, Arizona Town Hall President Tara Jackson, Sustainable Economic Development Initiative Executive Director Eric Marcus, and Oliva Mendez, a student at Rio Salado Community College.

Results and recommendations from the 108th Arizona Town Hall “Arizona & Mexico” conducted in April will be reviewed and Flagstaff residents will be asked to share their thoughts and ideas during the community program as well.

A $15 registration fee includes lunch but attendance is free. To register, go online at www.aztownhall.org/Events_Calendar or call the Arizona Town Hall office at (602) 252-9600

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

0
0
0
0
0

Environment, Health and Science Reporter

Emery Cowan writes about science, health and the environment for the Arizona Daily Sun, covering everything from forest restoration to endangered species recovery efforts.