Try 3 months for $3
Mars Rover Lab

Christopher Edwards, an assistant professor of planetary science at Northern Arizona University, wears a Microsoft HoloLens "mixed reality headset" that allows the user to virtually tour the surface of Mars. Edwards leads the  university’s new Mars Rover Operations and Analysis Laboratory where he partners with other scientists around the world to help command NASA's Curiosity rover on Mars.

Join Northern Arizona University's PhD student Sarah Lamm Thursday as she speaks about NASA’s Curiosity Rover. The lecture will take place at DeMiguel Elementary at 3500 S. Gillenwater Dr. at 5:30 p.m., before the school’s star party at their Walk Observatory.

The Curiosity Rover was launched from Cape Cod in 2011 and is still operational, investigating the climate of Mars on Gale Crater. Curiosity has been on Mars for over 2000 sols since landing on Aug. 6, 2012. Its design will serve as the basis for the planned Mars 2020 rover.

This is a great experience for aspiring scientists young and old to learn about STEM, Mars, and the selfie-taking rover.

Free Guitar concert featuring Jack Sanders

Internationally famous guitarist Jack Sanders will present a free guitar concert at the Joe C. Montoya Senior Center on Thursday, Jan. 10 at 2 p.m.

Solo guitarist, chamber musician, and teacher, Jack Sanders’ performances have included the Sitka Summer Music Festival, Kapalua Music Festival of Hawaii, Arrowhead Bach Festival, and solo appearances with numerous orchestras, including the Illinois Chamber Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra of Santa Fe, Modesto Symphony, Orange County Chamber Orchestra and South Coast Symphony. Recently, he was featured as concerto soloist with The California Philharmonic. He has performed with The St. Petersburg, Colorado, and Angeles String Quartets, as well as the contemporary chamber ensemble, XTET.

In 1984, Jack Sanders formed a duo with violinist Clayton Haslop. In 1988, The Haslop/Sanders Duo toured the Shanghai Conservatory in China, where Mr. Sanders was the first U.S. guitarist to appear after the Cultural Revolution.

Sanders is currently touring Arizona and New Mexico on behalf of The Piatigorsky Foundation, which aims to bring classical music to audiences throughout the US by performing in non-traditional venues.

Subscribe to Breaking News

Volunteer with snowplay cleanup

The first winter snow play clean up of the year will be Wednesday, Jan. 9.

The City of Flagstaff Community Stewards Program will supply trash bags, trash pickers and dumpsters for people who would like to help cleanup plastics and trash left behind by snow players in Flagstaff’s surrounding forests.

Meet the crew at J.W. Powell and Lone Tree at 1 p.m. to begin cleaning the first site. At 2 p.m., the group will venture out to the Peakview Pullout on Highway 180, just before Snowbowl Rd., and clean there, finishing up around 4 p.m.

Dress warm and wear sturdy shoes meant for the snow. Contact Maggie Twomey at (928) 213-2144 or mtwomey@flagstaffaz.gov with questions.

Subscribe to Breaking News

0
0
0
0
0

Digital Content Producer, Reporter