- Opt for natural candles. Natural candles like beeswax and soy candles are better for a hygge environment. Paraffin wax candles often produce too powerful an aroma, and they don’t burn as clean as other types of wax.
- Create social spaces. Part of hygge is spending time with friends and loved ones, so as you decorate and design, be sure you have spaces for guests to feel comfortable and relaxed, as well.
- Stay organized. Spaces should be tidy and simple. Get into the habit of regularly disposing of things you don’t want or need and embracing what you cherish.
- Avoid screens. Engage with your home and the ones you share it with by putting down your phone and avoiding screens. Crafts, books, yoga, meditation, puzzles and board games are a terrific way to escape electronic devices and soothe your mind.
- Socialize! Enjoy evenings with lively conversation, natural or calming lighting, and of course, a warm drink or two. Good drinks, sumptuous meals, and even outdoor picnics are part of the hygge spirit.