Dear Abby

Dear Abby

DEAR ABBY: Our son is married to a beautiful girl, "Debra." Several years ago, while we were away on vacation, she entered our home without our consent. She took several expensive, very personal and sentimental items, and we have no idea what she did with them.

Abby, we have absolute proof it was her. Our son denied her involvement for a while until other suspicious things happened with some of their friends' possessions.

At the time of our robbery and our accusation of her guilt, Debra said she would never talk to us or enter our house again. In addition to what she did to us, in the past she has also done some unscrupulous and hurtful things involving our grandchildren and other children. Because of this, she is no longer invited to any family events, and our son agrees, although they are still married.

Years have passed, and she's now trying to come back into the fold. Her presence would cause our grandchildren and their parents to stay away.

She has never admitted her guilt or asked for forgiveness from us. Should we be open to allowing her back into our close-knit fold? -- VICTIMIZED IN FLORIDA

DEAR VICTIMIZED: Has your son offered an explanation for his wife's behavior? Could she have been on drugs or suffering from a mental or emotional problem at the time she acted out the way she did? Whether or not you should try to broker a peace in the family would depend upon what she did to the grandchildren and other children, and your family's capacity for forgiveness.

DEAR ABBY: I have been married for three years. I'm not someone who initiates sex, but once in a blue moon I get the urge. Unfortunately, every time I do, my husband refuses and makes excuses. This year I tried twice, and after the last rejection, I exploded from anger.

I am so insulted! I never refuse him, even if I don't feel like it, because I want to please him. When I told him how he made me feel, he apologized. He said he didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but I feel awful. Now I no longer feel any sexual urges at all, and I'm no longer attracted to my husband.

What must I do? -- INSULTED WIFE

DEAR INSULTED: Because your husband is usually the one who initiates sex, it's possible that this is the way he prefers it. That said, however, this issue could end your marriage if it isn't dealt with. You and your husband should ask your physician for a referral to a licensed psychotherapist.

Be the first to know - Sign up for News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments