college

I began writing this column about a year ago. Now, this will be my last entry, and Bailey Helton, editor-in-chief for The Lumberjack, will be the new College Chronicles columnist.

One of my last adventures while I still live in Flagstaff will be to go home to San Diego for a quick trip to show my friend California. He’s from England, so this will be a good opportunity for him to see more than just Arizona. My other friend is also coming along—just for the ride.

I’m excited for my friends to see my hometown and to show them new places. We’ll be hitting all the popular places and putting our feet in the sand. As a recent college graduate, I think it is so important to take the time—if you have it—to travel, hang out with friends and just enjoy doing nothing.

During college, everything is so go go go. Papers, tests, class and work. After you graduate, and you have some time, you can just relax in the time between graduation and starting a full-time job.

For me and countless others, this is the case. It feels strange to have nothing to do since most college graduates always had at least one thing on their to-do list, but it is important to realize it is OK to take the time to fully relax. It’s OK to take the time to do nothing and not feel guilty. While cleaning and packing my things to move out, I will also be reading books, watching Netflix and working out—all the things I didn’t quite have time for while finishing up college.

One of my favorite quotes, which is also a motto for my life, is from Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. It’s at the beginning of the movie, and the main character says, “Life is short. The world is wide. Let’s make some memories.” Then, she goes off to France and Greece. I love the movie because she’s not afraid to do life the “normal” way. She takes risks and moves to other places fearlessly.

I don’t have any plans to go abroad in the coming weeks, but it is a simple quote that can be applied to almost anything, not just to traveling. I like this quote because it reminds me that time is limited. It pushes me to make my desires and passions a priority, instead of just saying, “I’ll do it later,” or, “I’ll finally do it when I have money.”

I’ve always said that I want to go to Greece for my honeymoon, but once I heard this quote, I thought, why wait? If I have the means to go somewhere abroad, why not go to Greece first?

If my friend wants to experience San Diego and we have the means to go, why not? Life is short, the world is wide and we can make some memories.

I know my friends don’t want to end up old and regret not doing the things they wanted to do. In my life, I have already looked back at college and regretted not doing some things. In the next chapter, I want to have little to no regrets.

Some people may say this is unrealistic, but I’ve heard stories of people that make it work. I’m a hopeful person and feel like I can make the time to follow my desires with or without a job. Like I said in my last column, I am a person who thinks I can have both and not have to choose.

It’s been great writing these columns and serving the Flag Live! community. Thank you for reading.

Subscribe to Breaking News

Ariel Cianfarano is the circulation director of The Lumberjack, Northern Arizona University's student newspaper. College Chronicles aims to connect Flag Live! readers to various aspects of campus life.

0
0
0
0
0