Friday, September 9th - 6:00-9:00 pm
Northern Arizona University Cline Library, Campus Building 28
The Grandest Walk - Rich Rudow and Chris Atwood
In the Fall of 2015 three friends started an audacious self-supported backpacking trip spanning the length of Grand Canyon below the rim in one continuous hike. Fifty-seven days later, two emerged, beaten down but thrilled with the rare accomplishment. Hear their story. Free.
Saturday, September 10th - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Arizona Trail Days at Buffalo Park presented by Arizona Lottery
"Honoring Dale Shewalter, Father of the Arizona Trail"
Hike, run and ride on the AZT on your own or with friends in the morning, then join us for these free activities at beautiful Buffalo Park:
- Live music from Viola and the Brakemen
- Local Food from McMillan Bar & Kitchen
- Beer garden featuring local brews from Wanderlust Brewery and Arizona Trail Ale from THAT Brewery
- Walk the Walk with Jack Welch
- Jasmine the Mini-Donkey and Carol Fontana and Tiki
- Donate gear to support our youth Seeds of Stewardship program
- "Ask a Thru-Hiker", "Ask a Thru-biker", "Ask a Thru-rider" Talks
- Face Painting and Kids Coloring Contest
- Raffle with fantastic prizes!
- Outdoor Expo
- CPR Demonstration
- Geocaching demonstration and activity
- Monster truck ambulance from Guardian Medical Transport
- Free maps, information, and much more!
Natural Restorations will be cleaning up trash and debris at 8 am off of Highway 89. Contact Nicole email@example.com for more details and to register.
Sunday, September 11th - 5:00-8:00 pm
Honoring our Heroes - Almost Sunrise Public Premiere
Orpheum Theater, 14 W. Aspen Avenue
Doors at 5:00 pm, film at 6:00 pm
Almost Sunrise, a film about the difficulties veterans face when coming back to civilian life- has won many awards on the festival circuit. The film follows two Iraq veterans, both tormented by depression for years after they returned home and pushed to the edge of suicide. The two embark on an extraordinary journey -- a 2,700 mile walk across the country from Wisconsin to California, in order to reflect on their haunting experiences of war and to ultimately, save themselves.
Following the film, combat veterans David Kurneta and Jordan Burke from this year's Warrior Hike program will talk about their experiences thru-hiking the Arizona Trail. To see a preview of the film and donate to help them spread their message, visit sunrisedocumentary.com.
- Starting Friday, September 9th, 2016, repeated every day until Sunday, September 11, 2016 — all day