Thanks to the persistence and foresight of the late Gene Shoemaker, all Apollo astronauts began to train in geology with scientists from the Flagstaff US Geological Survey 50 years ago. This legacy continues today with members of the astronaut training classes frequenting Flagstaff to study with scientists from the USGS Astrogeology Science Center. Geologist Justin Hagerty will give a presentation on the role of the USGS in training astronauts past and present, and the unique access that Flagstaff provides to a variety of planetary analogs.
The Flagstaff Festival of Science proudly presents:
The Lunar Legacy Lecture Series!
This FREE 18-month speaker series celebrates the Apollo Moon Missions and Flagstaff's Critical role in these historic lunar landings. Join us at 6 p.m., the second Wednesday of every month at the Coconino Community College Lone Tree Campus. Parking is FREE for this series.
Check us out on Facebook @flgscifest for more event details!
- Occurred Wednesday, August 14th, 2019 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Occurs Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Occurs Wednesday, October 9th, 2019 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Occurs Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Occurs Wednesday, December 11th, 2019 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Flagstaff Festival of Science