Vote to increase state funding for education

2012-09-30T05:00:00Z Vote to increase state funding for education Arizona Daily Sun
September 30, 2012 5:00 am

To the editor:

Thank you for publishing the Campaign 2012 Issues Series, as well as the letters that followed. I appreciated the prominent coverage of real local issues, especially education. Not only are there clear choices in the Obama-Romney race, but also in the local Arizona races.

I am worried and quite exasperated by the condition of our educational system in Arizona. Arizona is 49th in per pupil funding -- our state policy seems to be "race to the bottom." I am a mom with two kids in Flagstaff schools. One of our family's top priorities is providing our children with a top-notch education. Watching the Republican-controlled Legislature cut education funding year after year makes me angry and disheartened. Where does the Legislature think future economic growth will come from?

The present policy seems to be to cut education to the bone, then award tax breaks to businesses that relocate here from out of state. The problem is those U.S. or international companies will have to bring a skilled workforce with them because our kids will not have the background or tools to compete for those jobs. How short-sighted!

I am afraid we are creating a permanent lower-middle class in Arizona. I am a middle-of-the-road voter who cares about my children's education and their future job prospects. I will be voting for Tom Chabin (Senate) and Angela Lefevre and Doug Ballard (House). Our votes will count in this election. Together we can bring Arizona back toward the political center. If we don't do it, who will?

MARGE BLAISDELL

Flagstaff

Copyright 2015 Arizona Daily Sun. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(5) Comments

1. Local Guy
    Local Guy - October 02, 2012 7:21 am
    I also have a child in our system. We have chosen BASIS as our sons school so that he will receive a quality education. BASIS has created some much needed competition here and hopefully the non charter schools will start to see that if they don't start teaching to the level they do at BASIS they will continue to loose students to the charters. As long as FUSD continues to mismanage its spending, I will never vote to approve any bond or politician that will allow my tax money to be mismanaged.
  2. Fromthemiddle
    Fromthemiddle - October 01, 2012 10:51 am
    MattHelm says-"Crandell was thrown into this district from his home in Heber and knows nothing about Flagstaff, and doesn't care" So using this logic Crandall knows less about Flagstaff so that means Chabin knows less about Heber, right? It's a new district and all candidates must learn about the communities they will represent. The notion that someone does not "care" is ludicrous and without merit. I know both individuals and they do care. If your going to post, please do so with credibility.
  3. MattHelm
    MattHelm - September 30, 2012 10:18 pm
    Chester Crandell voted to gut our schools, Tom Chabin voted to protect them. Pretty simple. And by the way, charter schools receive public funding, and Crandell cut that too. Crandell was thrown into this district from his home in Heber and knows nothing about Flagstaff, and doesn't care. If you think he'll support education in this community, think again.
  4. Fromthemiddle
    Fromthemiddle - September 30, 2012 7:32 am
    Regardless of political preference or economic status everyone cares about education so we should stop the tired narrative that one party values education over the other. When the author can correlate per pupil funding to educational outcomes I'm all in.
  5. Matthew Quigley
    Matthew Quigley - September 30, 2012 6:00 am
    I quote the writer: "Watching the Republican-controlled Legislature cut education funding year after year makes me angry". "The Republican-controlled Legislature”, balanced our state's budget. A concept that's non-existent in the mindset of the Democratic Party. There is no correlation between the amount of spending and the quality of education. Chicago is a prime example - absolute Democrat / union failure. If you're concerned with quality education, I suggest you enroll in a charter school.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses