To the editor:
I wanted to thank you for publishing the article regarding pets and poisonous mushrooms. I just wish it would have been a few days earlier.
On Friday, my husband and I took our three dogs out camping off of A-1 Mountain Road. Once we arrived, the three immediately started scavenging the ground. It didn't register until I actually saw the mushrooms what it was that they were eating.
Our 4-month-old golden retriever puppy was the first one to get sick. Constant and abundant drooling from her mouth within 10 minutes of eating them. Twenty minutes later the diarrhea and vomiting set in. These symptoms lasted for about two hours and then subsided.
The next one to get sick was our 2-year-old border collie. Same exact timeline and symptoms.
Finally, our 13-year-old border collie fell ill. We figured since the puppy pulled through, she would, too. That wasn't the case. By Friday night, she was in terrible shape. By morning, she was gone.
These mushrooms were everywhere! And, once pulled they would grow back by the following day. I've heard that applying salt to the areas will help kill the fungi and spraying Tabasco in the area where they grow will keep the dogs from consuming them. I really hope this article saves a few of our furry friends' lives.