REI to build new store in Flagstaff

2013-06-13T13:13:00Z REI to build new store in Flagstaff Arizona Daily Sun
June 13, 2013 1:13 pm

National outdoor equipment retailer REI confirmed today it plans to open a new store in Flagstaff in spring 2014.

REI has received city approval for a store at Aspen Place at the Sawmill. It is in the process of obtaining a building permit for a 23,550-square-foot store at the corner of Lone Tree Road and Butler Avenue.

According to a press release, the new store will employ about 50 people.

Seattle-based REI is a consumer cooperative, although anyone may shop at its stores. It has 5.1 million active members, including 4,200 in the Flagstaff area.

REI operates 129 stores in 32 states. Other REI stores in Arizona are located in Tempe, Paradise Valley and Tucson.

Copyright 2015 Arizona Daily Sun. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(16) Comments

1. Donna
    Donna - August 21, 2013 10:07 am
    Those of you all up in arms about the woes of capitalism, REI is a co-op. Probably one of the best example of "Socialism" working. I am a member and pretty anti-capitalism and I am looking forward to REI coming to town.
  2. gchkr
    gchkr - June 20, 2013 7:13 am
    you are kiddin, right?
  3. gchkr
    gchkr - June 20, 2013 5:57 am
    If Flagstaff would copy some stuff from Phoenix, it would be a much better and enjoyable town to live in.
    ------------
    yur kiddin, right?
  4. NotASheep
    NotASheep - June 18, 2013 4:20 pm
    Gratic,

If you don't support "capitalism" what do you support? Communism? Socialism? No thanks!
    Lowes and Costco, come on over!!! By the way, I'm a native.
    Can't wait for REI - its a great store - unless of course you're a communist
  5. clifffalling
    clifffalling - June 18, 2013 9:53 am
    Yep.
  6. Xeano321
    Xeano321 - June 16, 2013 6:35 pm
    I would love to have more shopping options come to Flagstaff. However, I doubt if there is enough market left to support them. We already have 7 major grocery retailers, 7 department stores, and 5 hardware stores. Chances of any new major retailers coming don't seem likely.
  7. Que
    Que - June 16, 2013 6:41 am
    I have lived in Flagstaff for 38 years and am very excited see REI join the community!
  8. gratic
    gratic - June 14, 2013 3:53 pm
    I hope all of you that support capitalism and competition from REI voted in favor of the Super Walmart and would gladly support a Lowes and Costco coming to Flagstaff.
  9. clifffalling
    clifffalling - June 14, 2013 12:16 pm
    I'm glad to see them here too. Local guys need to get with the program... a little competition is good. For me, HomeCo is a great example. I still go there (They are independent and locally owned), rather than one of the two Home Depots in town. Thye have survived and thrived. Why? Great service, good products, good prices.
  10. Joseph
    Joseph - June 13, 2013 9:30 pm
    Apparently downtowner doesn't understand the principles of competition and how positive it is for the consumers that have been being ripped off for so long by the "local businesses". For the same reason I jump for joy at Sprouts denting New Frontiers business, I am thrilled that REI is coming. So glad to see economic growth in Flag!
  11. ConserveFlagstaff
    ConserveFlagstaff - June 13, 2013 8:52 pm
    Been a member of REI since the early 90's. Mom has been a member since the early 70's, but I can't say I'm ecstatic about this. Sure it will be great to have one so close, but I like the local feel to Flagstaff. Having an REI here will make it feel like a big city, exactly why most of us don't live in places like Tucson or Phoenix.

12. Xeano321
    Xeano321 - June 13, 2013 7:20 pm
    This is capitalism at work. Flagstaff needs new businesses. It provides competition, provides jobs, lowers prices, and makes for a larger selection of business to shop from. Flagstaff is too dependent on the Downtown business owners, and I don't like the feeling of being forced to buy local, strange as it may seem.

13. Ringokid
    Ringokid - June 13, 2013 6:10 pm
    Can’t wait for them to open. My suggestion to the local sports stores, better lower your inflated prices or go by by.
  14. NoAZ
    NoAZ - June 13, 2013 6:02 pm
    Oh BOY! You can Super Size your McFlagstaff....
  15. Phil McCracken
    Phil McCracken - June 13, 2013 4:51 pm
    YES!!! Sweet. I can hardly wait.Flagstaff has needed a store like this for years. At least since the 'old' Mountain Sports' went downtown and became a Patagonia salon. Wow. As for being a Little Phoenix, Flagstaff needs to grow up and join the world. The local guys can survive...it's up to them. I shop at both Aspen Sports and Babbitt's and still will.
  16. downtowner
    downtowner - June 13, 2013 1:44 pm
    See you later local businesses! Hello REI. Another addition to the neighborhood of Little Phoenix.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick