Call it a Hail Mary play to keep a $15.3 million deal alive.
An attorney representing local developer Wayne Thompson asked the Flagstaff City Council Tuesday night not to scrap plans to build a new public works yard on property he owns in west Flagstaff.
Last week, city officials said that after months of negotiations, they failed to reach an agreement with Thompson to buy 17 acres he owns off west Route 66.
The Council has scheduled a vote on the deal next week.
City voters backed a $14 million bond in early November to help finance a new public works yard with that location in mind. Land sales and a new disposal fee at the landfill will raise the balance of the $28 million cost of the project.
The asking price, according to the city, was $15.3 million, and the parcel contains 15 commercial buildings with numerous tenants.
Waving correspondence between the city and a local real estate broker representing Thompson, the attorney said they were very close to reaching an agreement.
City Manager Kevin Burke said last week something completely different.
"Despite everyone's best efforts on both sides, we are not able to come to a mutual agreement on terms and conditions and feel it is best to consider other possibilities," Burke stated.
Members of the Council said little on Tuesday night, based on legal advice that the city is still technically in negotiations with Thompson until they take action on the bid on Feb. 5 during a scheduled City Council meeting.
Last week, several councilmembers said publicly they felt it was the right decision to end negotiations with Thompson.
The city has received several inquires from other landowners willing to sell large parcels they think would be suitable for a new public works yard.