Woman punches infant in restaurant

2012-09-13T05:00:00Z Woman punches infant in restaurantERIC BETZ Sun Staff Reporter Arizona Daily Sun
September 13, 2012 5:00 am  •

Witnesses say that a 25-year-old Flagstaff mother -- now in jail on child abuse charges -- punched her 2-year-old daughter in the face because she was upset over the price of orange juice at an eastside restaurant last week.

The woman had finished eating breakfast at Mike and Ronda's The Place when she got upset about the drink's price and threw it at her infant as she sat in a stroller, according to information from the Flagstaff Police Department.

The woman later knocked the stroller into the restaurant door to open it.

The witness told police she saw the woman "knock the baby upside the head with a closed fist," the report stated. The woman also allegedly pulled the child's hair.

Police were called and found the woman nearby headed toward Bushmaster Park pushing the stroller.

She reportedly told police she was "frustrated" and said she was struggling to find a place to live and with "being a single parent."

The child did not appear to be injured at all or upset.

Ashlee Monique Tafoya was arrested on charges of felony child abuse. Jail population records Wednesday listed her as still being in custody. The child was turned over to a relative.

Copyright 2015 Arizona Daily Sun. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(18) Comments

1. ljks23
    ljks23 - September 24, 2012 9:49 am
    No excuse for her hitting her baby. Thats the main point. My 1yr old banged his head on a cabinet and I took him to the hospital, even I knew I would get investigated for child abuse. I do get frustrated and my life is not a walk in a park however, I will never take it out on my boys. She needs to grow up and be a responsible mother. Her child will always love her no matter what she does to her thats the sad part.
  2. GeorgeW724
    GeorgeW724 - September 20, 2012 6:26 pm
    The question is not blame but what happen. I don't know if lack of mark does or does not prove anything. As to proving what happened, that's what the government needs to do in court. It shouldn't be done in this or any other blogs.
  3. GeorgeW724
    GeorgeW724 - September 20, 2012 6:21 pm
    Price should be on the menu. If she didn't have a menu, then I agree she should have asked but why take it out on the child. The child didn't set the price nor forced the mother to order it.
  4. mc21sun
    mc21sun - September 20, 2012 3:52 pm
    I ma not saying she didn't do this... I am not saying someone made all this up but knowing the mother just like anyone else she has enemies, and sadly more than an average person she has been through alot and god forbid you have to walk a mile in her shoes cause knowing most her life story and seeing her struggles it's no vacation...
  5. Sucio
    Sucio - September 20, 2012 9:01 am
    I know when I go out to eat I talk to all the other tables around me about who we can call the cops on and make up a story about. Far fetched to say she didn’t do something to that child. Also, the DS reports that she said "she was "frustrated" and said she was struggling to find a place to live and with "being a single parent."" I don’t hear her saying she didn’t do it. It will all come out in court and I hope the DS keep us posted on what goes on with this case.
  6. mc21sun
    mc21sun - September 19, 2012 10:48 pm
    Momalso--
    3. her mother is not the most at all reliable and handed the baby over to the fathers family multiple time claiming she couldn't take care of the baby.
    there are a few other things that were going on that morning that I will not share because it's not my right
    all I can say is please pray for Ashlee as she is in jail thinking about her baby and pray for the baby as well Ashlee is a good mother just needs to get a few things fixed in her life!!
  7. mc21sun
    mc21sun - September 19, 2012 10:43 pm
    Momalso-- I
    1. I have no idea if she did do this it does not seem like her so I'm not sure if the witnesses are telling the truth about it or not I am hoping that this is not the truth
    2. her and the baby are homeless have been for a while has stayed at many friends homes and family members and even with my family for a few night's.
  8. mc21sun
    mc21sun - September 19, 2012 10:37 pm
    Sucio-- I am not ex-using this but as someone who knows mother and child both it is so hard for me to believe that has happened, (if she did) she should not have hit the baby and I'm not sure if she did these are all the details I have here in this newsletter and I have not talked to any of the family...
  9. Momalso
    Momalso - September 19, 2012 2:37 pm
    MC21sun---I would like to know what you are saying.with 'she was just frustrated(sp) about not having a home for her baby'.
    !. Do you mean she DID do what she is accused of????
    2. Is she and the baby homeless or just looking for a new place?
    3. Why couldnt she go to her mother?
  10. Sucio
    Sucio - September 19, 2012 2:26 pm
    I have a 21 month old, I get frustrated, but I would NEVER lay a cross hand on my child. Not having a home is not an excuse for her actions!! If she was worried about the price of things, Burger King was less then 100ft away. They have a dollar menu.
  11. mc21sun
    mc21sun - September 19, 2012 11:43 am
    I have baby-sat the child since she was 2 weeks old, she loves her mommy very much and she does not cry for very long and if you tell her to stop crying she immediately does so if that answers your question on why the baby wasn't upset. as far as the "no marks" part goes I don't know but any one with children or even brothers and sisters, know we all get frustrated and get mad at children, she has taken care of her baby very well and she was just frustared about not having a home for her baby.
  12. eb
    eb - September 19, 2012 6:48 am
    From Hatch we get blame the victim. From Momalso we get blame the witnesses. Maybe we should blame the restaurant, the stroller, and the police too. God forbid we blame the person who was knocking around the toddler. And if you really want me to I could show you how to hit someone without leaving a mark. I'm not worried, it won't be my fault (sarcasm).
  13. shematz
    shematz - September 18, 2012 6:26 pm
    I'm with you, how can you not leave a mark?
  14. Momalso
    Momalso - September 16, 2012 5:17 pm
    I would like to know how a person can punch a toddler and NOT LEAVE A MARK? Will you people answer me that? Why was the child not crying when the police arrived a few minutes later? Punched and hair pulled and no marks and no crying? Who ARE THE WITNESSES? Come on, this is not what happened. The witnesses need to be grilled on EXACTLY what they saw. I do not believe the witnesses for the fact there is NO mark and child was NOT upset. I do not know the mother at all.
  15. navajo4life
    navajo4life - September 14, 2012 6:40 pm
    this lady need helps to correct her behavior. sad to think that the child may be returned to her. it's not the child's fault for a parents action. never the child's fault.
  16. ljks23
    ljks23 - September 14, 2012 11:57 am
    Maybe she should have figured out how expensive it would have been having a child instead. Poor kid.
  17. Fromthemiddle
    Fromthemiddle - September 14, 2012 10:33 am
    Maybe she will get Judge Hatch, that way it will be the kids fault.
  18. shematz
    shematz - September 14, 2012 2:01 am
    Why didn't she ask the price of the juice BEFORE she ordered it? I never order juice or milk at restaurants, because I KNOW it's too expensive!
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick